Sunday 17 April 2016

Paper pot maker


For my birthday this year, I asked for nothing more from my parents than a nice outing some time this spring/summer and for them to come by for some cake and coffee (all Dutch people know this ritual). But since my mom is the sweetest, she brought a present anyway.

My parents are getting used to my plant obsession and mom bought the perfect gift to start my growing season off: a paper pot maker!





The packaging is pretty self explanatory. It is a wooden tool to make seed starting pots out of newspaper. No need for plastic pots which break after a while and need to be cleaned after each use. Besides, I'm always nervous about getting my seedlings out of their pots for replanting, afraid I will damage the roots or the stem. With these, I can just plop the pot in the ground!



Luckily there were also very clear instructions included. Being the clumsy person I was born to be, I needed a few test pots before I got it right. The trick is to leave enough paper at the bottom (or the pot will have a hole) and not too much on top (or the pot will topple over). 



The result of an afternoon folding was this happy tray full of tiny paper pots. I took the opportunity to repot some seedlings that I had started before and start some plants that go in later in the season. 
In the tray next to this one, is a (less photogenic) tray of paper pots with sunflower seeds. Hopefully, I will be filling my garden up at the end of may!

How do you like to start your plants?

No comments:

Post a Comment