Sunday 19 October 2014

Spring flower fiesta with bulbs

The weather is getting colder. The heater is on in the house. Fall is creeping up on me. 
I have been cleaning out containers, harvesting the last bit of greens and preparing for frost.
Which may come with a vengeance, of may not come at all. It is still Dutchy land out here and sometimes Christmas is warmer than spring.

Either way, my garden is prepared and I am already longing for spring to start over.
To keep me from sinking into a full winter depression, I am planting a little gift for myself to look forward to.
When March will hit and it will seem like the world will never be green again, there will be flowers to lift my spirits.



Layering bulbs

I have layered two pots with spring bulbs so I will have continuous flowers for months. I will show you how I did it.


First I selected frost proof pots. These pretty pink ones are perfect to give my garden instant color when  spring hits.



Daffodils

Next I put in a few inches of soil and started with my first bulbs. It is important to start with the bulbs which will flower last. In my case it are daffodils.
Plant them with the pointy end up and cover with soil.



Tulips

Next came the tulips. Again, pointy end up and cover with soil.





Crocuses

Last but certainly not least, crocuses. They will bloom first, in March. They always remind me how better, warmer days are coming when it is still pretty cold. As a child growing up, I remember how utterly happy I was to see the crocuses blooming in the garden of our town doctor.  



Now what?

Top everything off with soil, water generously and store them for winter. If you live somewhere with winters that make you reenact Frozen and justify angst of polar bears, you can store your potted bulbs in an unheated garage or shed. I just leave them out in my garden.

Are you preparing for spring in any way?


No comments:

Post a Comment